Candidates for Confirmation, as for Baptism, fittingly seek the spiritual help of a sponsor. To emphasize the unity of the two sacraments, it is appropriate that this is one of the baptismal godparents. CCC 1311
Each candidate is to have a sponsor. It is the responsibility of the sponsor to assist the candidate in their faith journey and encourage the confirmed person to mature in Christian faith and witness. To be admitted to the role of sponsor a person must:
- Have an active role in the preparation of the candidate.
- Be 16 years of age or older, Catholic, confirmed, leading a life in conformity with the faith, who has received Eucharist, and who is not bound by any canonical penalty.
- He/she must be willing and able to share the faith and to make the necessary time commitment to fulfill his/her responsibility.
- It is preferable for the godparent to be the sponsor at confirmation. This manifest clearly the connection between baptism and confirmation. Others may, however, be asked to fulfill this role.
- Parents may not be godparents or sponsors for their children. They have a particular and very important role as the primary catechists of their children.
-Sacramental Policies, Diocese of St. Augustine
Click here to register to be a Confirmation Sponsor (link coming soon) or stop by the parish office to pick up a paper copy of the registration form.
If you have questions regarding Confirmation Sponsors of Adult candidates for Confirmation, please contact Vincent Herzog at (352) 372-3533, ext. 119 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.